Thursday 3 May 2012

Making the SHU Symbol


My main take on this project was the visual effects. The first thing I started was making the SHU Symbol 3D. First thing I did was bring the SHU symbol Ollie made into Illustrator, draw around it and save it as an Illustrator 8 file and then import into 3DSMax.  A problem I ran into however was that, the illustrator wasn’t showing any details regarding the image. So I basically had to recreate Ollie’s deisgn in 3DSMax by scratch, which surprisingly wasn’t too difficult. It was merely a drawing out the jem like shape of the symbol, duplicating a second one, minimizing and then attaching to the first outline and then adding a bevel effect to fill in the colour between them. The “SHU” Text was added as text object and then was attached to the shape. Afterwards, the entire design was made into a Editable Poly and then extruded to give the symbol a 3D look. Afterwards, I made it rotate constantly for ten seconds.

The symbol was then exported as a PNG sequence and then brought into After Effects, from which the effects “Glow” and “Light flares” were added.


No comments:

Post a Comment